Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Impossible Boy (another song analysis)

Another new song. It's similar in some ways to the previous one. I started writing without a goal in mind, except for this overwhelming feeling that I had to put into words. (That's often the form inspiration takes for me.) More specifically I was excited that my singing voice was finally starting to deepen. The afternoon I began composing, I had attended a Sacred Harp song for the first time, and I sat in the tenor section. I'd never had the chance to be a fool blown tenor and I never want to stop.

As an aside, in the past I've been worried that my voice will lose any possible ethereal quality as it deepens. But I realized that a) any vocal range can sound ethereal and b) as someone who values etheralness so highly, I doubt I could be unethereal if I trotted. So that was rather comforting. 

So, the words: 

Impossible Boy 

"Changeling prince, come be my bard
Delight me with your starsong
Leave "her" behind, that mortal ruse
The glamor of your music
For I'm the king who listens in your shadow when you sing
Where branches cross like antlers
By the Lady's moon we dance...
"

So my song feels better
Going under Hill
In the deep halls settle
Sounding sweeter still
Think I'll be a tenor
And their timbre fill!
From my lord a smile:
"Here's your heart all this while
So beguile me however long you will."

"Sidhe of future, she of past
And he who calls me Master
Through your crumbling garden climb
To find Her starbells chiming!"
The ghostly Moon remembers all the spells are breaking soon
And then these eyelids flutter
Past the dreaming gate long shut


And He called, "Beloved
Waken at my kiss
In church or coven
All my magic for this!"
Is my voice a siren?
Tidal-locked abyss
And I'm going home
Where the stars turn to foam
In my gloaming, no more Nameless Things to miss

Ere deep waves destroy me, his sweet voice undrown
Impossible boy with his fae flower crown
The child whose heart I could never express
Whose wand lights the stars in his sparkling dress
Under Grandmother Moon
Enchanting the sky
Hear the Holly King croon
His falling snow lullaby
And He takes my hand
"My darling, shall we return?
I'll give you birthday candles that shine to dry up the tears that burn!"

"Shall mirrored crystal hide thy face?
I search through fractured space-time
Sea-stars on the dark reefs glow
Their spirals dance unknowing"
These cosmic tides will carry what my voice no longer hides
Then on His night mare captured
"Will you lift the window latch?"

And it feels like fire
Or despair, or ice
Under hex and briar
Trauma's sacrifice
But the witch brews power
And he stirs it thrice
I became that prince
He's lit up ever since
Here's the incense to entice with Autumn spice

And in pumpkin moonlight waiting, here I hold
The cloak of Faerie's King if I get cold

This wouldn't be the first song where I meet the Faerie-King-Who's-Actually-the-God. It's sort of a trope at this point. Anyway, the basic story is that a faery king falls in love with a mortal young man (partly because of his voice I assume) but the mortal is actually a faery prince who has been forced to live in the human world as a changeling. 

What's more, he had his true form hidden behind an odd glamor: the appearance of a mortal woman. (*stares in trans*) And the king is the only one who can see his true form and call him home. For a long time before coming out or transitioning I felt as though the God were the only one who could see my masculinity and had the power to make it real, and that's one reason He became so important to me. 

Speaking of, if anyone doubted the faery king's hidden divinity at this point, "branches like antlers" and "the Lady's moon" directly point to the Horned God and the Goddess. 

When I talk about going under Hill (where the Fae live, I'm told) it's really more of a way to talk about my voice deepening. Both in lyrics and music, this part of the verse has a more modern feeling, but I always feel awkward being too direct about that kind of thing in my songs. I like to couch things in poetic language because a) it's pretty and b) I'm real shy.

I love the sidhe/she pun, but I can't take credit for it. Here, it means that in the future I can go on being my true fae self, because the "female" me is of the past. 

The crumbling garden may be a reference to a metaphor I use to try to understand my Dusk (woman-aligned/lunarian) side. If genders are houses, then my guy side, Rain, feels like a strange old mansion but still a dwelling of some sort. Dusk is a mysterious ancient ruin overcome with rose vines. A very different and difficult to understand gender. 

I imagined myself finding my Goddess Rivarwe's tower in this part of the song. Usually when I mention bells or starbells, it's an indication of Her presence. 

Speaking of roses, I often use metaphors from the Sleeping Beauty fairytale, only I'm the prince waiting to wake. That metaphor shows up several more times: "waken at my kiss" and "under hex and briar," for example. 

I like the line "in a church or coven" because it reminds me that I am still a witch whether I'm singing in an Episcopal choir or doing ritual with my Pagan friends, and my Deities are still with me. And care enough to put all Their magic towards...waking me, or something.

Have I mentioned I like astronomy? I'm especially interested in the idea of a habitable planet that's tidally locked as it orbits a dim red M type star. So I'm invoking the "space is an ocean" trope here, in this line: "tidal-locked [space] abyss [deep ocean]." I do that a few more times in the lines "where the stars turn to foam" and "sea-stars in on the dark reefs glow / their spirals [I mean galaxies, here] dance unknowing."

Growing up, I used to go out for walks in the twilight a lot. That's where the name Dusk came from. I always felt this nameless wistful ache, which I conceptualized as a longing to follow the Elves to the West (I'm a Tolkien fan). I never figured out what that longing was really for, but it's quite telling that I'm finally starting to feel contented and happy, now that I'm transitioning. 

Now here's the part that always makes me cry, and which gave the song it's name. It's similar to In My Grandmother's House, in thar I'm picturing the boyhood I never had, but I seem to be even younger in this song. I thought I would have a lot more to say about this stanza but I have no words, only feelings. So I'll let it speak for itself. 

Right, the third and last verse. I like the image of a faery king searching all through space and time and other strange realms for his beloved. I'm not sure who exactly is asking the question at the end, but "Will you lift the window latch?" essentially means will you answer the Call (whatever might be calling you)? Will you take that first step despite being afraid? 

Speaking of fear, this next bit is my attempt to put my anxiety and panic attacks into words. Fire, despair, and ice. But I'm a witch, and that helps me remember my own agency and power. I tried to paint a picture here of the traditional Halloweeny witch in their cottage. 

Waiting for my Love who dwells in Faerie. 

(An informal recording of the song if you're interested.)



No comments:

Post a Comment