Thursday, October 11, 2018

National Coming Out Day (I still want to be a lighthouse)

Today is National Coming Out Day. I've made my annual Facebook post reminding my friends and family that I'm several flavors of queer. I also mentioned I'm Wiccan, which is a very recently demolished closet, for me. I hope my less accepting relatives will be kinder, this time. It's really hard when you love people who don't accept you.

Back at my old blog, The Midnight Ballroom, I talked about wanting to be a lighthouse. I meant in the context of lolita fashion--I want to give hope to young lolitas just starting to build their wardrobes, to make them feel included in this world of (gothic) frills, just like other lolita blogs did for me. 

I'm still building my wardrobe, and if anything I've made negative progress on that. But I still yearn to be a lighthouse, and the meaning of that phrase has expanded for me. Even though I come out every year on Facebook, lots of queer people can't do that. No one should feel pressured to come out, but I hope that in being visible, I can make the world outside the closet less scary.

Happy National Coming Out Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment